Sunday, May 17, 2009

We're Off

We're flying out of St. Louis today to Chicago to catch British Airways to London to begin another "extreme field trip." Although last time we stayed long enough to really soak up the sites in London, on this trip we're using as our starting point. We'll be staying a few days to re-visit old favorites and then we're catching a flight out of Gatwick to the south of France. There we will be taking some time out to further Mom's education in French viticulture and enology (or oenology as I will be spelling it there ;) ) as well as doing a bit of sightseeing. It's that time of year, so if we're feeling particularly brave, we might have to visit the Cannes Film Festival just to say we did.

I don't feel as well prepared for this trip as I have for others. In the past, I often did a lot of pre-trip research. Between a change in dates, an overloaded schedule and a recent trip to Chicago, I haven't been able to do as much research as I would have liked. I'm not going to sweat it too much though - and I'm going to try and reassure myself by focusing on the value of spontaneity. Some of the most wonderful experiences we've ever had on trips in the past were completely unplanned.

See you on Monday in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment