Monday, May 25, 2009

Connerie











Maybe I've just been lucky or perhaps I have one of those faces that automatically evokes sympathy, but I have yet to discover where they hide those American hating French. "It was a fluke!" I was told in 2006, the first time I brought Cameron and Caroline to France. I was assured it was not typical and it must have been beginners luck, because if you are not perfectly fluent (i.e. undetectable as a non-French person) they do not like you and if they find out you are American, you are really screwed - so I was told.





Connerie. Bull shit. Cow dung. It was not my experience then - and it has not been my experience now.





I don't know what those other travelers did to invoke their own troubles, but I am here to tell you the French people are some of the most wonderful people on the planet. Thus far, I've had simple things and one or two major (or what I may consider major frustrations) and have had many benevolent people to come my aid. My French was so awful one person thought I was Dutch. Although I readily admitted I was American, their offer of assistance never wavered. They helped me anyway - with smiles on their faces and kindness in their hearts.





In my wine education, one of the more kind and beautiful women I have met thus far was Helene Maynard of Domaine du Galet des Papes in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. She and her husband, Jean-Luc, represent 5th generation wine growers. The Maynard family owned property in Chateauneuf-du-Pape during the time of Napolean III. There had been a festival we missed the previous Saturday, so Monday must have been a lazy sort of day in the village. Many of the wineries and wine caves looked somewhat deserted, so I felt I was imposing a bit on Madam Maynard when I rang the bell. If there were any imposition, her welcoming demeanor and hospitality hid it well. The most pleasant surprise was the taste of her wine. Coming in at half the cost of many Chateauneuf-du-Pape wines, the Domaine du Galet des Papes held its own, especially in the famous 2005 vintage.





I am having a glass as I type. Merci, Madam Maynard.

1 comment:

  1. I agree- not all of the French are what Americans make them out to be as the stereotype dictates. I think that applies to a lot of different cultures as well. I found Germans to be rather pleasant, Italians... eh.. didn't interact much with them but I know they may respond to American tourists better if you don't look the part (ie. dress up; got that response New Years Eve 2004). Again, jealous.

    ReplyDelete